Hunger Games - Poem

  The Ballad Of Coriolanus Snow!


I have written a poem/ballad, from the perspective of Coriolanus Snow, the very well known president of Panem. In the Hunger Games Trilogy, which is from the perspective of Katniss Everdeen, he is often criticized for being cruel and evil. However, there is a prequel to the trilogy - the ballad of songbirds and snakes (set back 65 years ago) - written from Coriolanus Snow's Perspective. The poem is based on his life. I have not given specific details, in order to leave it a mystery! I hope you enjoy it. 


When I was young once, 

There had been a terrible war, 

Poverty and Hunger overtook us all. 

War makes us do the worst, 

One distinctive night, when I was dying of hunger and thirst, 

I saw my neighbour creep to the side of the lane, 

There lay a young woman who was once a maid, 

He took out a large, sharp knife, and behold! 

Cut her leg, and vanished with it, down the road. 

Repulsive, but could I blame him? 

He had to eat, despite it being a human’s limb.

And even though the war ended, 

It had done what it intended. 

It left me insecure, poor, and hungry, more than ever. 

It took my parents and changed me forever, 

For, I had seen too much, learnt too much, experienced too much to measure, 

The war, no, the rebels, had taken her away, and never, would I forget her. 

She, who had an aura around her, that made everything so much calmer. 

She, who sang to me, loved me, more than my father, 


Then, the Hunger Games came, 

Such a relatable name! 

Wasn’t life really a game? Now full of Hunger. 

Yet, the Hunger Games, to be honest, were much darker, 

 They were way to show the districts, that they were not in power, 

 That they were at the Capitol’s mercy, 

That they, the underfed, poor and dirty,

Were no match for the mighty. 

In the 10th Hunger games, I took a part, 

Little did I know that I would soon be robbed of my heart. 

I was to mentor the District 12’s lass. 

Oh, what a shame in such a task! 

Lucy Gray Baird was her name, 

And soon in the Capitol, she earned sympathy and fame. 

I was wrong indeed. Lucy Gray was a marvel. 

She was such fun, in the field of tributes, who were rather dull. 

Who knew, that a district girl would steal my heart, 

Ha, I knew she was different from the start. 

But I had to get her alive, make her win the games, 

What would happen, would she win? Let me make that a mystery, one that remains. 

Read the book, participate in the games, 

May the odds ever be in your favour, 

For they never really are, I proclaim. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

War

Mother Earth

Shards of Perfection